Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 - Where did you come from?

So, my last post was just about nine months ago.  I hadn't really thought about this blog since then.  I started it while training for a marathon and have only updated it when I was training or running, which well, I haven't done since March of 2013.    Physically 2013 wasn't a great year for me, I didn't run, I didn't even walk for the most part.  I was sick, more than once, and had a fair number of tests to try to figure out what exactly is wrong with me.  (Doctors have no idea why I have a burning sensation in my hand, but did discover I am sick all of the time because my anodes are swollen -- and may need to be removed)  None of this should have prevented me from exercising, but, well, I pretty much just sat around being depressed and eating my feelings.   It wasn't being sick that I was depressed about (although, that certainly didn't help).   Regardless, I gained a fair amount of weight as a result. 

That's not to say that 2013 didn't offer some good times too, we as a family took a vacation to Kansas City and Hannibal Missouri, we made our way to northern California for Thanksgiving and the birth of our new niece/cousin and Oliver turned four and had a spectacular birthday party with special guest Anakin Skywalker.   Christmas was wonderful and we as a family have taken a number of long walks/hikes during our time off.  

As I returned to work I felt that nagging pull of the snack room, that stress starting to build in my back as clients began to call, and the anxiety that comes from my everyday work life.    So, as I reflected on the past year and geared up for the new, I decided that this would be the year that I made a substantial change in that area.  That's a pretty big resolution -- and a long term one.   In the interim, I still need something to make me feel better.  And, what I learned during that short two week break, is that exercise does make me feel better. 

So, once again, I am kicking off my blog to update my progress.   I don't have any major events planned.  I am running the LA Marathon 5K in March, but other than that, I am really just approaching exercise purely as something that has the potential to make me feel better.   As a result, I will walk, run, spin and swim my way into the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment